This is to notify you early of the proposed aerial shooting program targeting deer and pigs in parts of Kosciuszko National Park between 22nd and 26th November 2021 (excluding weekends). Please note that this shoot forms part of a larger aerial shoot program that includes other areas of Kosciuszko National Park around this time-period, advise as relevant will be sent out and available on our website for these programs. Please always check our Alerts and Closure webpage: https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list for the most up to date information.
The attached map: Aerial Shoot November 2021 UPDATED AREAS DRAFT Indicative for early notice is in draft and highlights the areas to be targeted for the program. The hatching mostly indicates proposed shoot areas. Where there are white labels adjacent to green outlined areas these areas whilst hatched are open. The area bounded by black outline and with a white label on the Rolling Grounds will be closed.
The program should be completed over three days within the date period given above, Pending weather and availability of resources.
– Shooting will be excluded from:
- within and around resorts
- roads and some walking tracks
- Summit Walk/Trail, Main Range Walk and Kosciuszko walking track.
There will be a partial closure of Kosciuszko National Park covering walking tracks and surrounding areas within the shoot area. This will be highlighted through signage at the start of those walking tracks as well as promotion on the NPWS website and at Visitor Information Centres.
The closed areas will be:
- Rennix walk
- Rainbow Lake walk
- Porcupine track
- Waterfall Walk
- Illawong Walk
- The Main Range – Dicky Cooper Bogong south along Rolling Grounds (to ~1700m on N, E and W) to Wilkinsons Creek and Mt Northcote (Hedley Tarn, Blue Lake areas internal to Main Range Walk/ Summit Trail/Summit Walk loop will remain open)
- Ramshead Range – Merrits Creek east to Sawpit Creek
- Mount Guthrie (Snowy River east to Mount Paralyser
- The area east of Guthega Link Road, eastwards to Diggers Creek
- The area east from Diggers Creek (Guthega Road) and north of Kosciuszko Road eastwards towards Jindabyne Pumping Station.
NOTE: areas south of the Alpine Way, Main Range Walk, Summit Walk, Summit Trail and Kosciuszko Walk will remain open.
This operation is part of a ongoing multi-year plan to reduce impacts of deer and pigs on high conservation areas. These include the montane bogs and fens threatened ecological community. Other feral animals such as foxes, goats, and wild dogs will also be targeted during this program. Aerial shooting is not used to control horses in NSW national parks, and therefore horses will not be targeted as part of this program.
Aerial Shoot November 2021 UPDATED AREAS DRAFT Indicative for early notice